We were asked to contribute to the production of a book marking the 50th anniversary of the establishment of the CBI (or the Confederation of British Industry as it was in 1965).
We researched and wrote around 20 articles looking at how Britain has changed over the last five decades in a number of key areas that are close to the work of the CBI. These included:
- the big picture of macroeconomics and the business environment
- a focus on key sectors such as banking, energy and manufacturing
- changes in employment and demographics
- the role of British rapidly in a rapidly changing global environment
- Britain’s relationship with Europe.
In all these articles we drew on research material from the CBI, interviews and the writer’s own knowledge and experience of covering the CBI as a journalist.